Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Snow trip... in April?

My little daredevil, giggling the whole way down!

My family

Christian kept throwing snowballs

Meliah on one of her backwards runs

Making a snow angel

Aaron carried this around with him as his shield. He was the only one that would allow Christian to throw snowballs at him.

Lizzy and I getting ready to hit the slope

Christian and Aaron

We had such a wonderful time in the snow today! I will always have sweet and bitter memories of my childhood snow days. Being one of 8 kids it was always a fight for the best snow gear. We never had enough! I usually ended up extremely cold within the first 1/2 hour rigged up with bread bags on my tennis shoes and socks for mittens. I do remember crawling through the coolest tunnels ever that my brother, Martin, would dig through the bushes to the side of our house. It was a special priviledge to be able to enter one of his snow caves. I seemed to always be the target of a snowball thrown by one of my brothers. Martin was the best snowball maker and thrower ever, so I would try to be on his team every time. When I got a little older my parents purchased some property up on a hill that was nicknamed sled hill. Every kid in town would go sledding up there. They were some of the steepest scariest rides you'd ever take. I was never a dare-devil and was so afraid of sledding. Those hills terrified me! Today, I realized it really isn't so bad. It was really warm out. Things still haven't changed for me! I didn't have snow boots or snow gloves, but that didn't stop me and luckily it wasn't so cold that I wanted to stop after a few minutes.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

so fun!! can't wait til lexie is old enough to enjoy snowtrips!

Families are Forever!

Families are Forever!
What a great blessing

I sure do love my family!

I sure do love my family!

Our 3 little ones!

Our 3 little ones!
We have been so blessed!!!

My parenting plan!!

I have been thinking a lot lately of what I need to teach my kids to help them become independant physically, spiritually and mentally so when they turn 18 they will be able to survive on their own. The last 9 years has flown by so quickly I can't believe it. Nine more years and my first child will be old enough to be on his own. That is a real wake up call for a mother who hasn't prepared her children for those important days. I realize that I have gone on way to long without a list of what needs to be learned and done by what age so that my kids will not be horrified when they get out into the world alone. So, I've come up with a list of most everything I can think of that would be important for my kids to know and learn and what ages they should be capable. Of course, every child is different and is capable of different things at different ages. Some learn things faster and are more motivated. Others would like to just live in the home cave for the rest of their lives and have no motivation to do any of it. So, I am including my fairly flexible plan. But if you let too many years slip by, you may need to up the work to fit everything in. I got most of my ideas from a very experienced LDS author (Merilee Boyack) who has raised several children successfully! So, hopefully you find this as helpful as I do!