Monday, October 26, 2009

Happy halloween!

Meliah and Christian getting the guts out


Lizzy's Mr Pumpkin Head

Lizzy with one of her crazy creations

The kids with their final projects!

We carved pumpkins last night at the last minute. I really didn't want to, it was a canning day and I was exhausted! But it ended up really much more relaxed than former years. I always have felt really rushed and panicy when we carve pumpkins and feel like I've carved at least one before I can even think of carving my own. This year we got some of those poke through pieces (kind of like Mr potato head) for pumpkins and gave them to Elizabeth hoping that she would enjoy that instead of wanting to use a knife. She did! Yeah! She loves it too and has changed the face of her pumpkin several times and giggled like you've never heard before. Right before she was supposed to be in bed she came out with her Mr Potato Head pieces and wanted to try some of those too. The parts didn't have glasses and feet like the Mr. Potato set does. She started that back up this morning before preschool and has absolutely loved it! Christian and Meliah carved some simple faces without a whole lot of detail and were really happy with the results! Aaron did Frankenstein and worked on it long after the kids went to bed, and frankly, I was happy just taking pictures and enjoying watching them. I roasted the pumpkins seeds for a snack after FHE which I've never felt like I could do before.

The kids on the pumpkin train



We went to the pumpkin patch last week and really had a great time. It was during the week and after school, so it wasn't busy at all. The favorite spots were the gold panning for marbles and the petting Zoo. The weather was perfect and Aaron and I were able to sit together and get caught up on some visiting during the middle of the week (which is very unusual).

Meliah loved all the different shapes of pumpkins

Boy has time flown! Christian looked so huge in the petting area, he looked like a giant compared to most of the kids in there. I think I have a picture of him when he was 4 in this same spot!

The kids all really enjoyed mining for marbles. Christian got soaked trying reach all the way to the bottom of the water with a long sleeved shirt.

3 comments:

Hollye said...

I love Mr Pumpkin Head ;0)) That is my kind of pumpkin carving for sure!! ;0)
Hugs to all of you!

Becky Nelson said...

Wow you have been busy. I hear you on the pumpkin carving. i could go with out. I thought I was going to be able to get away with out carving because Taylor's pumpkin was gross on the inside, so we threw it out and she took mine. Well I should have known that Bella would need help cutting. I wish we had those cute mr. potato head things. She would have loved them. I hope next year we go to a pumpkin patch, we were just too busy this year.
We too wish you lived closer so we could do things in the evenings and not have to worry about a long drive. We are happy that we get to see you at least once a month. Take care.

Kat said...

Great pictures sister. Love ya.

Families are Forever!

Families are Forever!
What a great blessing

I sure do love my family!

I sure do love my family!

Our 3 little ones!

Our 3 little ones!
We have been so blessed!!!

My parenting plan!!

I have been thinking a lot lately of what I need to teach my kids to help them become independant physically, spiritually and mentally so when they turn 18 they will be able to survive on their own. The last 9 years has flown by so quickly I can't believe it. Nine more years and my first child will be old enough to be on his own. That is a real wake up call for a mother who hasn't prepared her children for those important days. I realize that I have gone on way to long without a list of what needs to be learned and done by what age so that my kids will not be horrified when they get out into the world alone. So, I've come up with a list of most everything I can think of that would be important for my kids to know and learn and what ages they should be capable. Of course, every child is different and is capable of different things at different ages. Some learn things faster and are more motivated. Others would like to just live in the home cave for the rest of their lives and have no motivation to do any of it. So, I am including my fairly flexible plan. But if you let too many years slip by, you may need to up the work to fit everything in. I got most of my ideas from a very experienced LDS author (Merilee Boyack) who has raised several children successfully! So, hopefully you find this as helpful as I do!